|Rick Wershe in court last September (Brian Kauffman, Detroit Free Press)|
- Rick Wershe and a pal are stopped by the police on a pretext traffic stop near his home.
- Wershe had a shopping bag of cash but no drugs. His sister grabs the bag before the police can and she runs into her house with the cash.
- A curious crowd spills into the street along with dozens of cops.
- Rick Wershe walks away empty-handed.
- A teenage neighbor claims she saw Wershe walking between houses toward her house carrying a large box.
- The neighbor claims Wershe asked her to put the box behind her house. She said no.
- A second neighbor, who lives next door to the teen witness said he saw Wershe at the same time as the teen, but he testified Wershe wasn’t carrying a box.
- After Wershe leaves with the police the neighbors search the back yard for a box and they find one. The box is taken in to the teen girl’s house. A neighbor/witness said the box was taped shut.
- About two hours later, acting on a mysterious anonymous phone tip, the police arrive and take the box. The officer who took possession of the box says it was partially open when he took control of the box.